Thursday, July 2, 2009

A study in contrasts....

.
Two situations, both involving meetings with strangers that involve cash. One raises my hackles, and one is perfectly comfortable. One I will follow through with, and the other I politely declined.

I am searching for a vehicle, this one to be a cheap clunker for specific reasons. One of my sons pointed out a Volvo brick on Craigslist, and I contacted the seller via e-mail. The response was timely and direct. The seller writes in a 'youthful' manner and has an ethno-centric email address. They would like to meet in a parking lot, for a cash deal. After some thought, I passed. Too many alarms going off.

Second situation.... To raise some funds for clunker car shopping, I am selling a few firearms (keep it down..... quit 'cher hollerin. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!). One is a rather pricey shotgun, which I advertised in the local paper. This morning I get a call from an interested party. He knows guns, he asks the right questions, and he agrees to meet at my private shooting club while knowing exactly where it is. I'll be there, and will be comfortable handing him a shotgun and a handful of shells to try it out with.

Two situations involving small wads of cash and deals with perfect strangers. One I am comfortable with, and the other I wouldn't touch. The ironic thing is.... the one I am comfortable with has loaded firearms tossed into the mix and I know it going in.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

No irony there- it's the approach that cued the responses.

Anonymous said...

Hell,m if I'd known, I'd have offered my Explorer. Two grand...

"He's just this guy, you know?" said...

And I'd have come a'lookin Cranky.

I'm looking at a VW Golf tomorrow. If that does not pan out, I'll still be hunting a vehicle on Saturday :-)