Friday, November 21, 2008

Learning the fine art......


In our industry, you do what you have to get the job done. If that means laying on your head under a dash board, so be it.

This young man is learning the special magic words that will undo the fasteners on a GM brake booster. They are usually muffled by the dash panels hanging in the face, but would be recognized by mechanics and sailors the world over. Special words invoking the close personal relationship that some engineers have with their maternal parent, and said parents marital relationship with said engineers father.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe those words are "colorful, hirsute and bastardized."

They are the same words I use to describe the ancestry of administrators.

PRH said...

The old man was a auto mechanic(post WW2 and after) and a B29 mechanic while in the Army Air Corp....I remember him stuffed under many a dashboard and inside an engine compartment.....guess that's why I stink at doing major work on vehicles.

I didn't want to follow his steps, so I never got into car work...and that is my and my bank accounts problem today.

Old NFO said...

I know those words well :-) Learned em at my Gradpa's knee (or whatever part was sticking out of the car he was working on)!