Monday, October 27, 2008

Tomorrow pays for much

Tomorrow I enter the realm of voltage drop testing with the lads. Now is when the stressing over electrical basics pays off.... and all that stuff about voltage being the 'difference' in potential between point A and point B comes flooding back.

By this time tomorrow there will be twenty more people in the world who understand voltage drop, and another twenty who have an inkling. I'm sorry to say there will be another seven or eight who won't get it.

I will spend an hour on it, no more. Then, task work to back it up, hands on.

This.... is... fun!

By the end of the week I'll have a 'shop test' scheduled. This is a hands on skill test, where they can prove what they have learned. A few each of measurements... voltage, voltage drop, resistance, and amperage (using da law). High point test for a high value skill.


Today I ran into my first cheating of the year... saw 'my' signature on task work I know damn well I didn't sign off. No worries.... I made the young buck prove his knowledge of the task till I was confident he had it down pat, which took him longer than just doing it right. Tomorrow I will sign off with colored sharpy, of which I have a rainbow selection. A new color each day, random, and keyed.

This ain't my first rodeo.

No comments: