Saturday, November 15, 2008

Shooty jewelry.... just in time for Christmas!


Breda was talking about some kinda kewl, sorta shooty, jewelry and I gave it some thought. The idea is interesting and not too hard to do, so I decided I'd give it a try with a different flavor.

Choosing a few shell casings, I cut and ground stones to fit. Using the casing as a mount, the stone projects like smoke from a fired round... sorta.




Ok, It's nothing like that. But it is jewelry based on shell casings, and that makes them shooty bangles suitable for all the kewl women to wear during range sessions. (g).

Here are three examples. A .380 case with Sodalite mounted in it. I shaped the stone so it would angle from the case, and I will make a mount that lets it hang on a woman with the inside curve facing in. That way it looks better, and won't be poking away from any.... ah.... inclines in the area.

There's also a 10mm case with Smoky Amethyst, and a .45 case with Purple Amethyst.

I will have some silver wire by tomorrow, and will make necklace mountings to fit the base of the cases. I'm not sure if that will look right, but I'll work on the idea.

I plan on making a few of these, and will either give them away or sell, as fancy strikes.

Updates to follow....

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if I could get Better Half to wear something like that...

phlegmfatale said...

wow- GORGEOUS!
I wanna buy one!

Dibs on labradorite or --oooh! druzy chrysocolla. Yummy stuff, there!

Home on the Range said...

inclines?

"He's just this guy, you know?" said...

Ya... wonder why I have a hard time typing 'breasts' into a post?
Old fashioned I guess.

Christina RN LMT said...

Amethyst is always good!

James R. Rummel said...

Good post.

James

"He's just this guy, you know?" said...

James, I haven't forgotten the favor you did me.....

Phlegmy... high praise indeed from someone with your talent! Thank you!

Christina.... Yup, I like it too. It's a stone that seems alive at times.

I'll be making more of these, and working out some details till they are of my liking. Getting the stones to fit well is fussy work, but not rocket science. Not sure about a necklace mount yet. This afternoon I'll probably experiment with a small silver wire wrap in the extractor groove, and if that doesn't suit, perhaps a pair of small holes and a larger wire loop right through the base of the shell. I'm also wondering if I can solder a silver loop right into a hole drilled in the primer (expired of course).

Anonymous said...

Put a loop through the case and they ought to make nice earrings. You'd need to pair the rocks and cases.

Carteach said...

Hmm... .25acp earrings? HHMmmmm.....
Be a bugger working stones that small without a dap.... Have to think about it some.

Today I learn how to solder silver, and try some necklace mount ideas.
Updates will follow, perhaps this evening.

James R. Rummel said...

"James, I haven't forgotten the favor you did me...."

Sorry, drawing a blank. You aren't one of my students, and I don't remember anyone I stopped to help on the road with a white beard lately. There was that guy who said he was a veteran of the 101st Airborne with white hair, but he didn't have a beard.

Could you refresh my memory?

James

Old NFO said...

Purty! Those are NICE Shrugged :-) Of course they would be confiscated by TSA as "ammunition" don't cha know... Sounds like some X-mas money to come!

The Captain said...

Maybe de-priming the cases would give more room to work, as far as making one into a necklace?

Nice work, either way.

Anonymous said...

What about using shell casings for a lipstick case top?

"He's just this guy, you know?" said...

Timmeehh...

As a matter of fact, I made one yesterday that looks exactly like a lipstick container, with lipstick extended. Funny you should mention that.

It would be a reversal of history. After WWII, as Israel was being formed, they were under an arms embargo. Being resourceful, they found that lipstick containers could be easily reformed into shell casings, and imported them by the ship load. There they were rebuilt and turned into cartridges in secret production facilities hidden in basements.

It would be sort of a tribute to that spirit, I guess.

breda said...

I think Breda should have one of these, since she gave you the idea. You know, just sayin'.

;)