Sunday, November 2, 2008

Richard Bollinger, artist


I like art, but not enough to study it. I'd happily go to a museum and spend the day gathering in the offerings, but I'd arrive in ignorance and leave richer in life but likely just as ignorant.

The image of above is of a Richard Bollinger print. It's the one piece of artwork I've bought for myself. After talking with the artist for an hour or so at a gallery show, I chose this print and he signed it for me.

Normally, I prefer to go see the sight myself... capture an image of my own in mind and camera. I like simple beauty. The contrast of tree branches against the snow, an involved relationship of water swirling down the river, the incredible beauty of a womans shoulder glistening in the sun.

This print is an exception, and it grabs my attention completely when I look at it.
Bollinger has a talent for capturing that moment... that short moment of incredible beauty that happens occasionally. That moment, when the sun lights the clouds like fireworks and everything stills in pose. The kind of moment you dare not look away from, as it will vanish in a blink. Like a very personal gift from the universe, only given to one willing to open his eyes and see it.

I have yet to frame this print. That costs money not to be spared right now.

One day... it will hang on my wall. For now, I get it out occasionally and lose myself in the scene for a time.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Beautiful! A safe harbor is all sailor's dream! No question, he does capture the moment. Enjoy!

Somerled said...

Love it, Art. I pegged the harbor, Annapolis, fairly quick. St. Anne's and the State House are hard to miss. I've only been there once when my nephew graduated from the Naval Academy.

I'll bookmark Bollinger's site. Thanks for pointing him out to us. It reminds me of some of the Impressionist works--they loved the light and how it danced on the water.

Ask around for a good framer. Sometimes I fix computers for people like that in exchange for the fruit of their hands. More and more of that will happen if the government redistributes at a faster pitch.